June 17, 2022 at Smoky Mountain Speedway (Twin $5,000 to win features)
Recap by Jack Cofer
Maryville, TN–Chris Madden and Jimmy Owens found victory lane at Smoky Mountain Speedway on
Prelim Night of the Mountain Moonshine Classic. Madden led all 30 laps and was unchallenged in the
first feature (Group A) of the night. Mike Marlar and Dale McDowell claimed 2nd and 3rd respectively
behind the Gray Court, SC racer. Owens led all 30-laps of his feature (Group B) as well, but not without
contest, as eventual second and third place finishers Carson Ferguson and Jonathan Davenport hounded
the Newport Nightmare for nearly half of the main event. Ferguson once again earns the attention of
the Super LM world with a strong run last night at Smoky Mountain. Last night’s features set the lineups
for today’s heat races for the $50,000/win Mountain Moonshine Classic.
- Alabama native Sam Seawright debuted a brand new Rocket Chassis XR1 at the speedway.
- Trent Ivey had an eventful trip to Smoky Mountain. After getting stuck in traffic for a few hours, the
South Carolinian rolled up to the track just 10 minutes before hot laps.
- Tennessee’s own Cory Hedgecock took a wild ride in his heat race, flipping on his side after a pileup in
- Knoxville’s John Blankenship made a rare appearance this weekend and placed 15th in his feature.
- Engine builder and driver Vic Hill had a strong night as he finished 4th in the second feature.